Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Seriously about time!

Ok so it is about time for me to put up here some baby info! So I got put on bed rest and was told I couldn't talk on the phone text or get on the computer because it made my blood pressure go through the roof! It was a little scary at how high it was, I was at work at Cardio-Pulmonary associates and one of the nurses checked my blood pressure and it was 150/110, apparently that is high. The nurse said call your Dr. right away! So naturally I called Rick first and just said so my blood pressure is a little high so I am calling the Dr. and I call you back before your big test and let you know what they said. To give you a background Rick has been studying French at DLI in Monterey, CA, he has been working so hard and June 7th was the day of his last big test to decide if he passes or fails and he was about to take that big test in 30 minutes. I called Dr. and he said your done working and go straight to labor and delivery! Are you kidding me I wasn't ready for this! I still had 4 weeks to get things done before our little munchkin arrived... I started bawling and had to have someone from work (Sweet Norma) drive me. I decided not to tell Rick what was going on because I didn't want him to stress and do bad on his test, so I just texted him and said "sorry I haven't called but good luck on your test and I love you" and off to the hospital I went. So my phone was dying and I knew Rick would be trying to call me when he got done with his test so I called my mother-in-law and told her about what was going on and to call him in 2 hours to tell him where I was. Rick finally showed up and my blood pressure went down. Well I stayed at the hospital for 7 hours and finally got to go home on the condition that I do nothing! Through the next week I had to go have NST after NST just for my blood pressure to be pretty normal but if I started doing anything it would get out of control. I got so sick of being at home and doing nothing that Rick and I finally decided after checking my blood pressure and it was low that we would go to a movie at the cute little quaint lighthouse theater, we went and saw Super 8, it was awesome! It was a much needed break from lying on my left side for hours. We got home and into bed around 11:30 and we were fast asleep until... my water broke at 1 am! So we went back to the hospital in the middle of the night knowing that he was coming! SO 22 hours later we had our little guy McCoy Ethan Maloy born at 10:52 pm 6/14/11 weighing 5 lbs. 15 oz. and 18 3/4 inches long



The Birth! if you don't have kids yet DON'T read this and if you have a queezy stomach don't read this :)

I don't want to forget it before I at least write it up. Anyways it was a pretty typical delivery with my water breaking on its own, getting to the hospital and not dilating at all and the Dr didn't want my high blood pressure to get out of control so he induced me. I started feeling contractions and the Dr told me whenever I want to go ahead and ask for the epidural because it was going to be a really long labor and delivery. I was probably a 3 and I asked the nurse for the epidural and she gave me some crap about not being dilated enough so in my labor rage I yelled at her and said where the hell is the epidural? I think I was more vocal about how much I didn't like her which I now feel a little bad for but she wouldn't give me the goods! Anyways she finally called my Dr and he told her to have the anethesiologist or whatever give the epidural. Finally got it and things were great for a few hours but then I started realizing that because of my blood pressure I wasn't allowed to be on my back I had to be on one side or the other so the side that was up wasn't getting the medicine so I started feeling half of the contraction and would have to rotate and it would take time for the medicine to balance out and move to the other side. Jess you probably know exactly what I am talking about and how much that sucked, at the time I didn't know really how bearable that part was. Anyways skip through all the long labor part, I finally went from a 4 to 9 1/2 in less than 2 hours and the Dr was not around. The nurse had me start doing "practice pushes" to which I was like why practice? this baby is ready now, but being that this is my first go around I thought the nurse knows more than I do about how ready I am. So literally I think I pushed once and I felt him starting through the birthing canal, then by push 3 I could have had him out on the floor. The nurse told me to stop and said I need to call the Dr. now, apparently his head was partly out already. So Rick said it was about 10 minutes or so till the Dr got there and then I started pushing and after my first push with the Dr. he told me to stop and that the cord was wrapped around his neck 3 times and it was tight so I had to dig deep and find the strength to hold him, I know that the epidural at this point had worn off but my adrenaline was so intense that I had no problem not pushing (I think there were other things helping me control it and help with the pain that were beyond my control). I got the ok to push and there he was on my chest not breathing, they took him away instantly and were working on him. I knew there was something wrong with him but I couldn't do anything at all because I was hooked up to so many monitors and was on bed rest so my Dr wouldn't even let me see him. Then the fun part started... so I started to feel the urge to push again which was the placenta and so while other Drs and nurses were working on McCoy my Dr was trying to get the placenta out. Well it didn't want to detach! At this point my epidural had completely worn off and my adrenaline rush was over because the baby finally started to cry (but wasn't in the clear yet) and I was feeling everything! The Dr was trying to massage the placenta out and that wasn't working, now the only way I know how to describe it is think of someone taking there arm and sticking it in a barrel to scrape it out... it was so painful and I swear I felt his hand all the way up just below my boobs! Almost 2 weeks and I still feel bruised all over my stomach but I don't have any bruising. Still the placenta wouldn't detach so the got the anethesiologist to come give me a dose strong enough for a c-section and I still was feeling everything so he gave me an even stronger dose and then I was feeling pretty high as a kite. My Dr had to go in with a bunch of tools and pull out the placenta piece by piece. It took me less than 10 minutes all together to actually deliver him (minus the waiting time) and an hour and a half to get the placenta out. I asked the Dr how often that happens and he said once maybe twice a year but that it is not very common. So needless to say I could do a normal labor and delivery any day but I never want to experience a non detaching placenta ever again! McCoy had some struggles at first but is doing great now! We finally got to come home after 5 days of him in the NICU. Oh the hardest part was that even after delivery I was still on bed rest and McCoy was in the NICU so I didn't get to see him for like 2 days, that sucked Anyways I never did have to get magnesium which was great and we are both doing well and are home! Sorry that was really long and detailed.

More to come later andmore pictures

1 comment:

  1. Yeah! A post from Sue! You're Alive! Because clearly if you're not blogging, you must be dead :) Loved reading this. Sorry you had such a rough go, hopefully next time around things will go much more smoothly. I'm anxiously awaiting the "more to come" and pictures!

    ReplyDelete